Among the many religions in India, one is the game of Cricket. It brings people together, whether it is played in the streets or being watched on the screens. While the Indian men’s cricket team is a prominent one and entails renowned sportsmen, the Indian women’s cricket team is gradually strengthening its roots in the country.
Even, the members of the latter team have a plenitude of victories, achievements, and records to their names. One such team member is Mithali Dorai Raj. The captain of Indian women’s cricket team in Tests and ODI, Mithali has clinched records that have, time and again, made the entire nation proud. And guess what! Breaking these records is similar to squeezing water from a stone. Thus, mentioning Mithali as the stalwart of the Indian women’s cricket team wouldn’t be untrue.
Here’s a list of 10 records made by her:
- Mithali has played 109 consecutive ODIs, the highest by any women cricketer.
- She scored 114* in her debut ODI match, the highest score by any Indian cricketer (either male or female) on ODI debut.
- Be it Test Matches, ODIs, or T20s, Mithali is the top run-scorer in all the three formats. This is also a reason why she has been bestowed with the sobriquet ‘Tendulkar of Indian Women’s Cricket.’
- The Indian women’s cricket team captain also holds the record of most consecutive fifties- It was in 2017 Women’s Cricket World Cup that she scored as many as 7 consecutive fifties!
- Raj is also the first Indian and the fifthth overall women cricketer to score 1,000+ World Cup runs.
- She also holds the record of hitting 91 runs from 104 balls, which is the highest individual score by an Indian Women Cricketer in a World Cup (2005).
- The lady commander has records in the overall cricket world too. She recently surpassed Rohit Sharma to become the highest Indian run scorer in the T20I format.
- In a match against Ireland women, Mithali scored her 17th T20I fifty and went ahead of all men’s cricketer in terms of runs scored.
- Mithali is the first Indian women cricket player to have a biopic made on her. The rights of the film have been acquired by Viacom 18 Motion Pictures.
- When it comes to the career span, Mithali has been into this career for over 18 years, the longest for any women player.