Knowing about the latest updates on daily GK news and current affairs is very important for students preparing for competition exams like SSC, Bank PO, Bank Clerical, RBI, IAS, Railways, Olympiads, etc. Thus, we at VeryShortNews bring you the fastest GK and current affairs updates, so that our readers always remain ahead of others. We update our GK posts twice everyday. Hence, do not forget to visit our G.K. section at least 2 times a day. Here is your daily dose of current affairs for 9 September 2018:
Japan’s Naomi Osaka wins women’s US Open 2018
Naomi Osaka from Japan defeated the home favourite & 23-time Grand Slam Champion Serena Williams in straight sets to bag the 2018 US Open ladies’ title. With this, Naomi Osaka has become the first Japanese player to win a major singles final.
Axis Bank appoints Amitabh Chaudhry as CEO & Managing Director
With effect from January 1, 2019, Amitab Chaudhry will take charge as the CEO & MD of India’s third-largest private- sector lender, Axis Bank.
Notably, Amit Chaudhry, who will succeed incumbent Shikha Sharma, is the current MD & CEO of HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company.
Quick Titbit: Union Steel Minister Chaudhary Birender Singh has launched a campaign named ‘Birender Singh Ke Sathi’ to spread awareness on a number of social issues like cleanliness and hygiene.
Nepal not to particpate in first ever BIMSTEC Drill
Nepal has withdrawn its decision to participate in the first Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) military exercise, which is due to be held in Pune on September 10, 2018. The Nepalese government’s decision came after strong criticism from different quarters, including influential leaders from ruling Nepal Communist Party.
Quick Titbit: Nepal’s former PM Pushpa Kamal Dahal ‘Prachanda’, who is on a 3-day visit to India, met External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and exchanged views on advancing bilateral ties. Notably, Prachanda was the prime minister of Nepal from 2008-2009 and again from 2016-2017.
Sushma Swaraj to visit Russia on a two-day tour
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will visit Russia on a two-day tour to co-chair the 23rd India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Technical & Economic Cooperation (IRIGC-TEC), to find solutions pertaining to issues in bilateral cooperation and further strengthen the ties between the two friendly nations.
Notably, IRIGC-TEC is a standing body which annually meets and reviews ongoing activities of bilateral cooperation in the fields of trade and investment, science & technology, culture and other issues of mutual interest
Quick Titbit: Jet Airways gets Ministry of Civil Avation’s nod to appoint Sharad Sharma as an independent Director.
First embryo-transplanted calf born in Jammu & Kahsmir
For the first time ever, a female calf of ‘Sahiwal’ breed was born to a crossbred Jersey cow at the Central Cattle Breeding & Research Farm in J&K, using embryo transplant technology.
The project was undertaken by the Department of Animal Husbandry, Jammu in collaboration with the National Dairy Development Board.
Quick Titbit: National Lok Adalats held in Tamil Nadu on Saturday (8 Sept) disposed of over 40,000 pending and more than 30,000 pre-litigation cases.
North Korea revives iconic mass games for to mark the 70th anniversary of the event
North Korea is reviving its iconic mass games performed by thousands of people (working in precise unison) to mark its 70th anniversary this weekend. The event, which is being referred to as the “Glorious Country” this year, was last organized in 2013.
Reportedly, the capital Pyongyang sees the performances as one of its most highly effective forms of propaganda, highlighting its social and political agenda both at home, where it will be televised repeatedly for months to come, and abroad.
Quick Titbit: The BJP in its national executive meeting on Saturday thanked PM Modi for steps to double farmers’ income, including raising the Minimum Support Price.
Latest GK News/Current Affairs (Evening Updates):
- Arif Alvi has been sworn in as the 13th President of Pakistan. Notably, Arif Alvi, one of the founding members of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party, succeeds Mamnoon Hussain for the post.
- Indian cricketer Murali Vijay will play for Essex County Cricket Club in the final phase of the division one of English County Championship.
- Tata Communications launches an advanced cyber security response centre in Dubai. The centre will provide 24×7 cyber security services to help customers stay one step ahead of evolving cyber threats in the Middle East.
- The Telangana State Innovation Cell (TSIC) is all set to launch ‘Startup India Telangana Yatra’ in 12 districts of the state from September 15, in a view to promote innovation and entrepreneurship beyond Hyderabad.
- Veteran Tamil film actor Kumarasamy, popularly known as Kovai Senthil, passes away at the age of 74 following a brief illness.
- Now get doorstep delivery of 40 Delhi govt services — including obtaining a marriage certificate, driving license and new water connection — from September 10.
- General Purna Chandra Thapa, a decorated officer of the Nepalese Army, has been appointed as the new Chief of Army Staff (CoAS), Nepal.
- Switzerland government plans to install a statue of actress Sridevi, whose blockbuster movie “Chandni” was shot at the country’s picturesque locations.